en español pulse aquí
The oldest part of the building
is part of the gable wall according to the Gothic-Mudejar style of the
Church door and to the window situated at the top. It could be the reinains
of another church dated from the XIVth. century.
At the end of the XVth.
century the works of the new church could have taken place.
The works done using only
bricks can be dated from this last period including the pirametral wall,
the chancel and the tower. During the first years of the XVIth. century
the works continued and the piars and three vaults following the Gothic
style used in the Sevilian's Cathedral were built.
Around 1530 Mr. Diego de
Riaño took part in these works. He built the sacristy covered with
stone panelled vault. In this vault there is an inscriptíon in Gothic
characters which says On the 29th. of October l924 this Church was open,
being the warden church D. Alfonso González Panduro.
Later on the bricks were
substituted with a mix composition of bricks joined to stones rubblework,
strips and masonry.
Also in the inner part the
design of the piers changes from Gothic structure to a pseudo wreathed
column structure in which there are four thin heads leaning on a shaft
in the central cylindric section.
These thin beads link with
the barrel vault and the transverse arches, which are also modified in
the central nave.
The work done by Hernan
Ruiz II, is related to this second period. It dates from the 1560. He was
without doubt the author of the two side entrances following the same style
of the others works done by himself and located in the North of the province
The different constructions
are also noticeble in the outer part not only for the variety of
materials used but also for the other details. For exemple the Gothic gargoyles
placed in the first section substitud the Renaissancist brackets.
The wall in which there
is a cyma, it follows the Gothic style in the first section but in the
other parts of the building it changes to a more classicist style.
Finely the ogival openings
precede the circular windows placed on the side entrances. The last section
has rectangular opening.
The ultimate constructions
of these works date from the begining of XVII th. century as it appears
in the sundial placed in the last counterfort of the Epistle wall in which
the date 1609 is inscribed in it.
We can say that after the
death of Hernan Ruiz II, the work continued under the orders of The Superior
Masters of the Sevilian's Archbishopric.
The fourth section never
was covered and neither the old wall of the main entrance. Later a gallery
for the choir was built on the central nave keeping the side section as
A little bricked steeple
made with two bodies was placed on the central nave in the XVIIth. century.
In 1835 due to the constructions of a new altarpiece, a little chappel
with neoclassic structure was added to the chandel. In the 1960s. some
stuccos were repaired inside and also the two side covers were taken down
building up two flat roofs.
The Parish Church was refurbished
and a broadcasting station was installed in it. From 1983 until March 1984
some more works were carried out. These works consist of uncovering the
central nave taking down the side roofs leaving them with its older drains
towards the gargoyles.
The ornament of the tower
and the tales of the spire were restored by a ceramic imitation which it